Board of Trade Building, L.A

board of trade building
board of trade building
1600x1200
 
board of trade building
1024x768
 
board of trade building
200x150
 

 

Board of Trade Building

 

Built in 1929, the Board of Trade Building is a historic building in Downtown Los Angeles. Situated at the northwest corner of Main and Seventh Street, the Trade building was designed in the Beaux Arts style with some Neo-classical influence by Beelman and Curlett. In 2008, it was included in the National Register of Historic Places. It is one of the more than 10 buildings designed by Claud Beelman to be listed in the National Register.

When it was finished, the Trade building had 230,000 square feet of space and 14 stores on the first floor, with the rest of the building used for offices. Since January 1930, the building was the new California Stock Exchange’s headquarters. Located on the 2nd floor, the exchange's trading floor was copied from the design of the New York Stock Exchange. It measured 89 by 90 feet and was built to hold 300 brokers. It also included 6 trading posts, a clearing-house, a gallery for visitors, a smoking-room for members, executive private offices, a committee room, and locker rooms.

The Board of Trade Building was the first to have automated elevators on the Pacific Coast which stopped automatically on the floors where buttons were pressed. An elevator operator was not required. As with several of the old buildings in Downtown Los Angeles, the Board of Trade building has been turned into live/work lofts.

 
© 2013 Los Angeles Pictures