Hollywood Egyptian Theatre, L.A

hollywood egyptian theatre, L.A
hollywood egyptian theatre, L.A
1600x1200
 
hollywood egyptian theatre, L.A
1024x768
 
hollywood egyptian theatre, L.A
200x150
 

 

Hollywood Egyptian Theatre

 

The discovery of King Tut’s tomb in Egypt on November 26, 1922 led to an Egyptian craze which swept the nation. The present site of the Egyptian Theatre, 6712 Hollywood Boulevard, had once been the address of Gilbert F. Stevenson and his wife. Stevenson, the Secretary and General Manager of the Western Masons Mutual Life Insurance Association, transferred from downtown Los Angeles in 1903 to

a 5 acre lemon ranch on the corner of Prospect Avenue, which is now know as Hollywood Boulevard,

and Dakota Avenue, presently McCadden Place.

The Hollywood Egyptian theater’s courtyard is 45 feet wide and 150 feet long. The “oriental motif” store fronts along the east side of the courtyard apparently sold imports. This space is slated to operate as a single restaurant when the theatre re-opens.

The Pig ‘n Whistle restaurant which was located on the west side, opened on July 22, 1927 and was in operation until the late 1940s. It had a side entrance which accessed the Egyptian Theatre courtyard. The "pig ‘n whistle" motif featured on a small tiled area can still be seen today in the courtyard on the west wall near the fountain. Morgan, Walls & Clements built the elegant restaurant and was featured in an Architectural Digest in the 1928 issue.

 
© 2013 Los Angeles Pictures