Koyasan Buddhist Temple - Koyaosan Beikoku Betsuin, Los Angeles

Koyasan Buddhist Temple - Koyasan Beikoku Betsuin, L.A
koyasan beikoku betsuin - Daishi Kyokai, little tokyo
1600x1200
 
koyosan shingon
1024x768
 
koyasan buddhist temple, little tokyo
200x150
 

 

Koyosan Buddhist Temples

 

Officially known as "Koyasan Beikoku Betsuin" of Los Angeles, the Koyasan Buddhist Temple is located in the Little Tokyo district near the Civic Center. The Temple is owned by the Koyasan Shingon Mission which was founded by Kobo Daishi. It is associated with one of the Mahayana Buddhist Schools. The Temple was established as the Koyasan Shingon Mission’s headquarters for the U.S. mainland.

Formerly known as “Daishi Kyokai”, the Koyasan Buddhist Temple was established by Reverend Shutai Aoyama in the autumn of 1912. Originally, it was located by the Elysian Park in Los Angeles. The Koyasan Daishi Kyokai was moved to Commercial Street In 1914. In 1920, it was moved again downtown Los Angeles in Central Avenue near the present site of the Japanese American National Museum. It was in 1934 that it was raised to the status of “Koyasan Beikoku Betsuin.”

Just two years before the outbreak of World War II in 1940, the current Temple building was built in a district called “Little Tokyo” on East First Street” under the leadership of Bishop Seytsu Takahashi. The Betsuin has functioned as the headquarters of Koyasan Shingon Mission in the United States since 1948,. In the courtyard of the temple was held an unveiling ceremony of a brass bust sculpture of Reverend Shutai Aoyama in the Fall of 2006.

 
© 2013 Los Angeles Pictures